There is really not too much going on, but I felt the need to blog today. Jake is still in Puerto Rico, but returns home in just under two weeks. This project seems longer than the last time he was gone, but I was busy packing and getting ready to move last time, so I was not thinking about it so much. Life is good though. I am still adjusting to working from home. It is very quiet, but at least I can get laundry done during the day so it isn't taking up my weekend.
On Friday I met with a girl that also works for UPG and lives in the area. It was nice to get out of the house and be social, even if it was only for an hour. I am sure we will hang out again. Friday I also decided to head to the DMV and get my Oregon license. I had been putting this off because when I looked online I found out that you have to take the written test, even if you already have a license from another state! What if I don't pass, how embarrassing! I decided Friday was the day, because the current office is just down the street, but April 1 it is moving farther away. So I headed out with the many required documents and figured it would not be too crowded because it was 3 o'clock in the afternoon. WRONG! Turns out that about a million kids in Beaverton were turning 16 on Friday! So I took my number and found a place to stand. Finally I was called to the payment booth, then you have to take your application to the testing booth and wait again. As I watched a few kids come out of the testing room with heads hanging down, I started to wonder if I was going to pass this test! I mean, these kids have been reading the handbook and sitting through driver's ed for who know's how long and they are not passing. I on the other hand have not taken a driver's test in over 8 years! The pleasant (not!) lady behind the desk called me back for my test and I found the assigned computer. Of course I was seated right between Smelly McGee and Pregnant Lady Talking to the Computer! The first few questions were not bad. Then I missed a couple, but seriously who knew that you can turn left on a red light as long as you are turning to a one way road! When I learned to drive red meant stop. None-the-less, I finished the test and received a passing score. This required more paying, and waiting to get a picture taken. After all of that, they do not even give you the license on site. I have a piece of paper and will get the license in the mail in 5 to 10 business days. Thankfully my KY license plates don't expire until next January, so I will not have to go back there again for a long time!
In other news, I have decided that I need to read more so I don't waste my life away watching re-runs of TV shows I have already seen. I have added the list of recently read books to the side-bar to keep track of what I read and to recommend to others. Enjoy! So today I headed down to the library and got a card. I have not had a library card in a very long time, but with the lovely state of the economy, I figure getting books for free is a pretty good way to go. As I am looking at a book a girl in the same aisle is walking closer and closer to me while looking at the shelves. I thought to myself "she must know I am here because she just walked by me 30 seconds ago". Not so much. I took a few baby steps to the right in hopes that the motion would get her to pay attention. Again, not so much. She literally walked right into me. To her this must have meant that we were supposed to be friends because instead of apologizing and moving on with our individual searches, she decided to strike up a (rather loud and one sided) conversation with me. Now I know I am in no position to reject friends at this point, but I now know way more about this person than I ever wished to. She is really into sci-fi (obvious by the looks of her) but trying to branch out, she recently paid for 4 ice skating lessons and only attended 1, and she was mad because her husband broke the umbrella she wanted to use today. During all of this the only words to come out of my mouth are Oh, really; Ah-ha; and Right. At this point she was also reading the descriptions of books to me. She mentioned wanting a funny book so I quickly recommended Jen Lancaster. This suggestion was for 2 reasons - 1) her books seriously are hilarious and 2) that meant she had to go to L and we were currently in A. Worked like a charm. Off she went. All in all my first Beaverton Library experience was an interesting one, but I will definitely be back, and watching out for Chatty Chattersons.
Good times - the 'ol DMV. I remember being all worried about that dumb test too. Dohnele of course did better on the test than I did, but I think she missed the left-turn-on-red-onto-one-way-street question too. You'd think with the amount of business those DMV offices have, they'd have more employees. The post office should be the same way. Oh, before I forget, not that anybody cares and even if you did get pulled over, you'd probably only get a warning, but did you know that you're supposed to have Oregon license plates within 60 days of moving to Oregon? http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/new2or/moving.shtml#to
ReplyDeleteWe had New Mexico plates on our car for way longer than that, though and didn't have any problems. Oh, and you also have to pass an emissions test in order to get your plates (I think). All sorts of fun stuff!
We totally agree with you about libraries - they're wonderful - it's just too bad that they attract weirdos more often than not.
So what are you and Jake planning for the 11th or the 12th? We'd love to either head up to Portland or meet you at Silver Falls State Park. Give us a call when Jake gets back to town 970-426-8250