The morning of the 4th was quiet, just breakfast and Uncle Larry washing the cars. We went down to the river to watch the duck race and check out the street fair. We enjoyed some lunch and it was back to home before the rest of the excitement. In the afternoon the Elk's Club was having a car show and dinner. There were a bunch of really neat old cars. After checking out the cars we headed in to the bar for a couple drinks. Sadly, we lounged around too long and they sold out of the dinners. So it was on to plan B, the restaraunt/bar in the same parking lot. Turns out they were closed for the holiday. Plan C was finally the winner - Jerry's Place. This place did not see us coming! Little did they know that Nana and Larry (in their 60's/70's) could be such a wild bunch. A few drinks later it was Keno time, and Larry won big, so he had to ring the bell and buy a round for the bar!
Sunday it was time to go back to the real world. I hit the road around noon and was taking the coast highway home to see the sights. I stopped a few times to take some pics of the view, and then was on the road. Unfortunately, everyone else and their brother were also heading home and had decided to take the coast highway. It was stop and go through all of the little towns, but I figured it would pick up when we turned inland. Wrong. It slowed all the way to a stop instead. This provided a lot of time to take pics of the mountain we were driving up. It also settled it that my next car would be an automatic. Stop and go traffic all the way up and then back down a mountain sure does wear out your leg! What was supposed to be a 3.5 hour drive turned into a 5.5 hour trek! But I made it.
It was a great weekend and I enjoyed spending time with Nana and Uncle Larry. From now on I will take I-5!
Here are more pictures from the weekend.
Isn't Florence a cool little town?! We actually watched the fireworks there two years ago and really enjoyed it. The entire town goes to one big parking lot by the river and proceeds to set fireworks off right next to each other; good times!
ReplyDeleteBummer about the traffic, but at least you REALLY got to see the scenery!